It’s trendy, stylish and incredibly easy to care for. Zamioculcas zamiifolia, also commonly known as the ZZ plant, is our January Plant of the Month!
What is the Zamioculcas?
This house plant is a member of the Araceae, the arum family, and is a perennial with feathered leaves that grows to a height of 40 to 60 cm. It has smooth, dark green leaves on its thick stems. The plant flowers as a survival technique. Therefore, it will rarely flower in inside environments. However, the arum-like flowers will grow from the base of the plant if you neglect it.
What are its ideal conditions?
Zamioculcas zamiifolia is from the lowlands or the foot of highlands in East Africa. Therefore, it thrives in rocky soil. You should also place the plant in a warm, humid environment. You can use a humidifier!
The Zamioculcas range is limited to the lush wax green leafed Zamioculcas, the mini- Zamioculcas and the black leafed “Raven”.
Zamioculcas is an ‘easy care’ product that is very tolerant.
- Sunlight: It will thrive in both full and partial shade.
- Room temperature: 65-75°F
- Even though the plant is very tolerant, you should not let the temperature drop too much.
- Watering: You should let the soil dry between waters. You should not overwater! The plant’s leaves and roots have has strong succulent properties, which help it thrive in a dry period.
- You can remove old leaves if required. The plant will form new leaves if there is an adequate amount of light.
- The roots are extremely strong and can distort or even break the pot. You must repot the Zamioculcas before its roots grow too strong.
- When the temperature no longer goes below 65°F, the time of the year depends on your location, you can transfer the plant’s pot outside in your garden or on your porch. However, you must be mindful of direct sunlight!
- The plant is only for decoration and not for consumption. It is toxic!