Did you know that the flower of the month of August is gladiolus! These stunning flowers grow in a multitude of colors on a bright green stalk. These will add color to any gardens or floral arrangements!
Here are some fun facts about the flower of the month!
- Its name came from the Latin word “gladius” which means sword and was given the name due to the fact that its leaves and petals are tall, pointed, and long, like a sword.
- An ancient name for the gladiolus was xiphium, from the Greek word xiphos, also meaning sword.
- Gladiolus has been a source of inspiration for artists throughout history including Vincent Van Gogh and Claude Monet.
- Gladiolus are the flowers associated with a fortieth wedding anniversary.
- The flower symbolizes honor and remembrance, but can also mean other things. It can also symbolize the following:
- Strength of character
- Faithfulness, sincerity, and integrity
- Never giving up
Thanks for reading! See you next Monday!