Did you know the October flower of the month is marigold! These are the perfect layered fall flower and their beautiful hues will blow you away! We have listed a few facts about the bold flowers as well as some tips on how to best take care of them!
- Depending on the type of bloom, marigolds have been seen to grow up to 6-48 inches in height and 6-36 inches wide.
- Did you know marigold flowers contain lutein, a substance that offers a whole lot of benefits to the human eye?
- Marigolds are every gardener’s favorite flower because planting them with their other outdoor greens helps keep some of those pesky pests and critters away!
- It’s believed that there are a lot of health benefits that come with marigold flowers because they contain substances with anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- The bloom itself symbolizes beauty, warmth, creativity, a drive to succeed, and celebration of the dead.
- Speaking of “celebration of the dead,” marigolds are known as the flower of the dead in pre-Hispanic Mexico and are still regarded as an important symbol used during Day of the Dead festivities!
- Taking care of Marigolds can be quite simple! The best season for marigolds to thrive is during spring, summer, and autumn. These flowers are slightly sensitive to cold weather so we would shy away from planting them if you live in a colder climate! When growing, marigolds need about 6 hours of direct sunlight a day. Also, make sure you water the plant deeply and make sure the soil is completely dry before watering again.
Also, check out this beautiful flag that gives us all the marigold vibes!
(click the photo to check it out)