Just the scent of soil, grass, and sunshine brings me back to my childhood! I loved playing in the dirt and making mud pies. It takes me back to a simpler time in life; no stress; no worries; just happy times.
I don’t know about you but with all the daily stress lately, I need to find ways to relax. One way I like to relax is to just “get dirty”! I put my hands in the soil, plant flowers and escape to a place that allows me to breathe a sigh of relief. It is so good for my body and mind.
According to Healthline.com, gardening has several health benefits, including:
- Allows you to soak up a vital nutrient, Vitamin D
- Provides exercise that promotes better sleep as well as weight loss
- Acts as a mood booster, and has a calming effect after a stressful event
- Gets you outdoors and fosters a sense of connection
You’ll need to take care of yourself while gardening.
- Wear gloves, goggles, long pants, and close toed shoes.
- Use bug spray and sunscreen.
- Drink lots of water and take frequent shade breaks.
- Listen to your body. Don’t try to lift heavy bags of mulch. Ask for help.
- Get a tetanus shot every ten years. Tetanus lives in soil.
Head out to your local nursery and buy some beautiful plants. Just the trip to select your plants will do you a world of good. Let’s get dirty, friends!